Saturday, July 30, 2011

Review: If I Stay

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Pages: 234 pages
Published by: Speak (or Penguin Group)
ISBN: 978-0-14-241543-6
Rating: A


On a day that started like any other...
Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left-the most important decision she'll ever make.
Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting, and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving. 


My friend told me about this book and told me a had to read it so I bought it and read it with high hopes because we have similar tastes. The book is about a girl who gets into a car accident with her family and has to decide whether to stay with her boyfriend and extended family or go with her family who didn't survive the accident. She watches the events that happen after the car accident and this leads to a decision.

I was stuck on whether to tell you guys that her family dies in the crash but you find out soon and it doesn't ruin anything so sorry if you didn't want to know that... I love the plot of the book because it's very deep and has to do with love and tragedy. The book really gets your thoughts involved because it makes you think of what you would do. Mia, the main character, goes through memories of the past and thoughts of the future and you can really tell and her decision is a difficult one which makes you really feel sympathetic.

The characters are very well-developed and every character adds to the difficulty of her decision. The story is in first person from Mia's perspective and I like that because the reader and Mia are both seeing what's happening.

The ending was very touching and some people that I know who read this said they cried (although I didn't which is really weird because I cry very easily with books and movies). I really agreed with the ending and loved what happened because I was kind of thinking throughout the book that that's what I wanted to happen.

The book isn't that long which is good because it's not dragged on and it's very fast-paced. I finished this book very fast but it wasn't one of those "Omg, I can't put it down!" books. It's kind of like how Thirteen Reasons Why was for me.

I really like the author's writing style. It's simple but gets to your heart and sticks in your head. The cover, though, is okay. I LOVE the shattered looking effect but the picture of the girl is a bit creepy. I do love her eyes though, ahahaa.

Overall, my grade for this book is an A and I definitely recommend it. It wasn't a book that will forever be one of my favorites but it was very well-written and thought-provoking.

1 comment:

  1. I agree the cover is very scary, but yes, you're right, her eyes are beautiful. This sounds like a really interesting read. Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete