Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Pages: 288 pages
Published by: Razorbill
ISBN: 978-1-59514-188-0
Rating: A


You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to learn the secret...is to press play. 
Clay Jensen doesn't want anything to do with the tapes Hannah Baker made. Hannah is dead. Her secrets should be buried with her. 
Then Hannah's voice tells Clay that his name is on her tapes-and that he is, in some way, responsible for her death. 
All through the night, Clay keeps listening. He follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his small town...and what he discovers changes his life forever. 


I finally got to read this book after years of waiting!!! I was waiting for a soft cover because I heard it was so good, borrowing it from a library would not suffice... It's weird because it came out in 2007 and it only just recently came out on soft cover. Don't know what the deal with that is.

Anyways, before reading this book, I heard it was like mind-blowingly good but for me, this wasn't the case. It was good, but it wasn't as good as people made it seem. The book, like the back of it says, is about this girl named Hannah Baker who commits suicide and sends out 13 tapes (well, 7 with two sides) and the tapes are supposed to go to 13 people who apparently have something to do with why she committed suicide. The tapes start at the first person and after the first person listens to them, they're supposed to send it to the next person named in the tapes.

I love the plot and the story. It's kind of mysterious and it makes you think of what these people could have possibly done to make this girl commit suicide. The book sounded so dramatic and intense but after reading it, it wasn't as intense as I think it should have been. The reasons why Hannah committed suicide didn't seem enough. I guess those reasons led to depression or something for a long period of time but I just expected more. Maybe it's easier for me to say this because I've never been in a seriously depressed state or suicidal.

Other than it being not as intense and dramatic, it was pretty good. The characters were developed well although I think some of the smaller characters were unnecessary (unless they have some deep meaning that I have not figured out, ahahaa). The whole story is in first person. Half of it is in Clay's voice and half (well, probably more than half) is in Hannah's voice from the tapes. It may seem like it gets confusing but it really doesn't get confusing at all and I really like that because I think it's difficult to write from two or more perspectives on and off in a novel and not have it a bit confusing.

I really LOVE the ending (although I can't say what it is here) because it's really thoughtful and I felt like after reading the ending, I learned a lesson from all of it. The whole book is kind of a lesson because it says how little things can make or break someone's day and in this case their life but it didn't hit me as a lesson until the ending.

The pacing is fast and I read this very quickly. It wasn't that I couldn't put the book down but it's the kind of book that when you finish a chapter or something, you want to know what happens so you don't put it down. I didn't have anything that I had to do so I just kept reading but if I had to put it down, I wouldn't have hesitated to.

Asher's writing style is probably my favorite part of the book (other than the ending). He writes with no confusion and you feel like you're going through everything the character is. He adds enough detail to make the world inside the novel seem real but not too much that things start to jumble.

The cover isn't specifically anything special except I really like how they added the 13 in the words. The font isn't too big or small but most of the book is in italics so if you don't like reading italics or have a hard time reading it, then this book is going to make you irritated..

So, my overall grade is an A and if you think this book might be interesting even a tiny bit, then go out and read it!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this review! this book is in my TBR pile...

    ReplyDelete