Saturday, August 6, 2011

Review: Don't Die Dragonfly

Title: Don't Die Dragonfly
Author: Linda Joy Singleton
Pages: 269 pages
Published by: Llewellyn Publications
ISBN: 0-7387-0526-8
Rating: A

After getting kicked out of school and sent to live with her grandmother, Sabine Rose is determined to become a normal teenage girl. That's why she hides her psychic gift from everyone at her new school, pretending that the predictions she helps write for the school newspaper are just fun nonsense. 
But when she starts having deadly visions of a girl with a dragonfly tattoo, she's afraid everyone will think she's a freak, or worse-that no one will believe her until someone dies. Just like at her last school.
Framed for a crime she didn't commit, Sabine must find a way to prove her innocence-and warn the girl with the dragonfly tattoo before it's too late.

This book is basically about a girl with psychic powers and she keeps having these visions about someone who dies, a girl with a dragonfly tattoo. After moving to a new school, she kept her powers a secret, even from her grandmother who she was sent to live with. She has to save this girl and ends up making some friends who can help her but she also makes some enemies. Yeah, so, that was completely pointless because I told you the same exact things that the back of the book told you. They did a pretty good job with that.

I love the plot of the book. I know, I say this for every book I read but seriously. Psychic powers, intense drama, evil people? It's perfect. The characters could be a little more detailed but they each have their individual personalities and I like that no one's similar. I actually don't really like the main character though. Sabine is kind of annoying to me, ahahaa. She is the 'hero' but she's naive and stubborn. She's more stubborn than I am! That's saying something.

The ending is the biggest cliffhanger ever. I've never read a cliffhanger that made you hang like that, LOL. It's a series and I think it has three books but I haven't read anything other than the first one. I really want to read the next one but I can't really find it and I'm to lazy to look harder at the moment. The ending is a different story than everything that happened in the book and it has to do with her grandmother and this other guy you meet. After finishing it, I was like, "Wait, what. What just happened." I like the ending because it makes me want to read the next one but that's the same reason I don't like it either because if you don't have it, you're sitting there all like (-.-).

I say this for every book but this one was a fast read too. I sat down and finished it in like 45 minutes. It's small, short and with the action in the book, it goes by really fast. This is a good thing but it seems kind of rushed at some points too.

I give this book an A because it's a bit rushed at times and the ending is too much of a cliffhanger for my taste personally, but the plot, characters and other things are good and the book itself was well written! I recommend this book but only if you have the ones after it, ahahaa. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. And I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful cover! Great post and happy Saturday! I hope you’re having an awesome weekend!

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete