Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Review: The Forbidden Game

Title: The Forbidden Game
Author: L.J. Smith 
Pages: 750 pages
Published by: Simon and Schuster 
ISBN: 978-1-4169-8940-0
Rating: A+
*Three books in one*

When Jenny buys a game for her boyfriend, Tom, she finds herself inexplicable drawn to the guy behind the counter. There is something mysteriously alluring about Julian's pale eyes and bleached-blond hair. And when he places the Game into her hands, she knows their connection is something deeper.
But as Jenny and her six friends begin to play the Game at Tom's birthday celebration, a night of friends and fun quickly turns into a night of terror and obsessive love. Because the Game isn't just a game-its the seven friends' new reality, where Julian reigns as the Prince of the shadows. 
One by one the friends must confront their phobias to win the Game. To lose the Game is to lose their lives. And that is only the beginning...


First, I want to say WOW, L.J. Smith has done it again! I LOVED this book so much! But anyways...

The book is about a close group of friends that have this party for a guy named Tom because it's his birthday and his girlfriend decides to try and look for a game they can all play. One that's exciting and not childish. She finds this old looking game in a game shop she's never seen before but she also finds herself strangely attached to the person in the store. Later while starting to play the game, they all find it getting weirder and then it gets really creepy. They all have to fight against their fears between life and death to reach the end of the game and suddenly it's not just a game anymore. Especially to Jenny when she has to make some of the hardest decisions of her life.

The characters are really developed and they all have different personalities that you can really tell apart. Since they all have their parts in the book where they have to fight for themselves and stuff, you get to know all of them and that's important because it's easier to see their connections (the group of friends). The characters are very realistic and likable. They have realistic problems and fears that they strive to overcome throughout the book.

This one guy Julian (who's the guy at the game shop and the guy from inside the games) is SUCH a strong character and he's my favorite character. He's actually the "bad guy" but you'll find out why I love him so much if you read it (I hope)!

So, there are three books in this one book and they're related to each other. The second book happens after the events of the first book and the third happens after the second. I, personally, feel like Smith could have stopped after like the second one but the third one wasn't bad. Just not necessary.

I LOVE the ending of the whole thing (which is the ending of the third book) because I feel like it solves all problems in the book. It's a sad ending but it's also a happy ending. You'll probably feel more of the happy part than the sad but I felt the sadness. I like those types of endings that are both because it gives you a sense of comfort. One of my favorite parts of the book besides Julian's character.

The books, separated, are very short (about 250 pages each) but together it's pretty long. When I finished one of the books, I didn't stop and just kept going but you can easily just stop there so it's not uncomfortable. For me it was a very fast read because it was so engaging and so good. I couldn't put it down.

The book is suspenseful and it has action. It's kind of creepy when you're reading it at night (if you're creeped out easily like me...) but that's what makes it more exciting. I love the writing style, obviously because I LOVE L.J. Smith but her writing is very stringed together. It flows and makes you want to go on. It easily switches from moods very well.

My grade is an A+ because I loved this book, the concept, the story and everything else. I definitely recommend this book if you like supernatural-ish things and dark stories, you should DEFINITELY read this! Especially if you know L.J. Smith, read other books by her and liked them.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this one too! I read it like a year ago, but I've re-read it at least once! Have you read Dark Visions by L.J. Smith (it's another 3 in one). I think I liked that one even better. Great review!
    I'm following you now!
    Courtney
    Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

    ReplyDelete