Sunday, August 14, 2011

Review: The Secret Year

Title: The Secret Year
Author: Jennifer R. Hubbard
Pages: 192 pages
Published by: Penguin Group
ISBN: 978-0-14-241779-9
Rating: C

How do you get over someone who was never really yours to begin with?
Julia and Colt were together for a year, but nobody knew of their secret love. Then Julia dies, and Colt's life spirals out of control. He is haunted by her memory and things only intensify when her journal falls into his hands. Can Colt bring himself to read Julia's diary? Or will he live without answers to his burning questions about a romance that changed him forever?


Okay, so like the little blurb thing says, this novel is about a girl and a guy who were secretly meeting for a year until the girl died. She actually did have another boyfriend and he didn't know about Colt either but then after she dies, everyone finds out about Colt and Julia's secret relationship and Colt is in a lot of trouble from Julia's friends and even his. He gets her diary and has to decide if he really wants to read it or not.

I'll start out by saying that I didn't really like this book. The characters were developed okay but I feel like they could've had more personality and independence to them. Also, I found the characters a bit confusing at times? I'm not sure. I guess it could've just been the author's way of making them more realistic but I didn't really like that, ahaha.

The ending wasn't bad but it wasn't fantastic. It was definitely an expected ending from this kind of book. No twists, no surprises. Just a calm, "oh, okay" ending. Not that I wanted a twist in this particular book because that would've probably just killed it but I think it was how the story was going that made this ending inevitable.

The pacing is fast, I guess. All the action-y (not really) parts are spread out (like Julia's death, his troubles with other people, etc.) so there aren't slow parts. The book is really short too so that adds to the fast pacing.

I didn't have any problems with the actual writing of the author so that's good. If this author has any other books, I wouldn't mind reading them because I think they'll be better. It's just that with the blurb on the back and the title, I expected this book to be more dramatic and intense. It was, just not enough. For me, at least.

The cover of this book is just freaky. I don't know if it's just me but that's kind of awkward, LOL. It was the title that got me to get and read this.

I give this book a C because I didn't really like it but it's not like I don't recommend it for other people because there are people who love this book. It just wasn't good for me. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I am your newest follower from the Friday Blog Hop. I would love it if you would follow back at one or all of my blogs :)

    www.singleparentretreat.com
    http://singlemamachallenges.blogspot.com/
    www.motherdaughterconnex.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete