Sunday, October 30, 2011

Review: Grimm's Fairy Tales

Title: Grimm's Fairy Tales
Author: Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
Pages: 508 pages
Published by: Barnes and Nobles Books
ISBN: 1-59308-056-5
Rating: B+

With the words "Once upon a time" the Brothers Grimm transport readers to a timeless realm where witches, giants, princesses, kings, fairies, goblins, and wizards fall in love, try to get rich, quarrel with their neighbors, and have magical adventures of all kinds-and in the process reveal essential truths about human nature. 

Is it wrong if I enjoyed this?

This is the sickest, twisted collection of stories and tales, ever. Great job, Grimm brothers! LOL. But seriously, I'm a dark person-ish so it's not really a surprise I enjoyed this. But other than the fact that I'm a dark person, it's more of the fact that all fairy tales are ridiculously happy so a change is good. I mean, these stories are disturbingly written but that doesn't change that fact that these are WELL written.

All these tales that everyone knows have the happiest endings but no, that's not even how it was. This book reveals that and I like it. Not all the tales were enjoyable but there are a lot, it'll be hard for anyone to like every single story.

I will not deny that these stories and tales are absolutely horrible in terms of what comes out (death, manipulation, sick behaviors and everything) but they are well written, like I was saying before. The writing is kind of in the old time english but I don't think it's that bad. It's definitely not that hard to understand.

Each tale is a couple of pages which is really convenient because with this long book, you're not gonna want to keep reading it. When I'm reading a long book with long chapters or something, I HATE stopping but I can't help that I have to like eat and stuff. With this book, the tales are all unrelated so the pacing is all up to you. FREEDOM!! Ahahaa!

I really don't know what else to say. If you'd like to read twists on some of your favorite fairy tales then go ahead and read this book but if not then I suggest you stay clear from reading anything Grimm.

1 comment: