Sunday, October 30, 2011

Review: A Walk to Remember

Title: A Walk to Remember  
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Pages: 207 pages
Published by: Warner Books
ISBN: 0-446-69380-4
Rating: B+

There was a time when the world was sweeter...when the women in Beaufort, North Caroline, wore dresses, and the men donned hats...
Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958, his last year at Beaufort High. Landon had dated a girl or two, and even once sworn that he'd been in love. Certainly the last person he thought he's fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the shy, almost ethereal daughter of the town's Baptist minister...Jamie, who was destined to show him the depths of the human heart-and the joy and pain of living. 

Why am I even reviewing this book? Everyone's definitely already read it or at least watched the movie right? Ahaha, well I still wanted to express my feelings about this book.

Honestly, I just read it, not too long ago. I apologize, I just never thought that after seeing such a good movie, the book was necessary. I mean, I believe that before you watch a movie, if there's a book, you should read it but I didn't for this one. I think that this is the first book that I think the movie was better. I'm sorry for all of those who just gasped in horror, LOL.

The book was amazing, don't get me wrong. It was beautifully written (obviously the work of Sparks) and the characters were off the page, the plot, the ending, everything was amazing. But, the movie portrayed the love and feelings so much better for me. I'll never know if this is only because I saw the movie first but the actors were really well chosen.

I can't get over how complex the characters are. They really come to life. Jamie is a girl who kind of pisses you off for being so nice and fragile but always accepting no matter what and then you just come to love her which is probably why Landon fell for her. My favorite thing about this book is how Landon changes throughout the story.I'm not even sure why but the way he grew out of being a real douchebag (ahahaa) because of one girl and how he became so romantic and mature. I love it.

The storyline is definitely cliched. There's a guy and a girl from two completely different worlds that come together and fall in love but I just love it! It WORKS in this book.

Really recommend both the movie and the book but I gave the book a B+ just because the movie did it better for me, ahahaa. Warnings though, it's sappy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment